Ellison Bay Days
Ellison Bay Days was an event held every year from 1966 to 2017. In 2017 the Ellison Bay Community Club ,the organizer, voted to close down the celebration. It was announced in early November that the club will sponsor a new event "Ellison Bay Goes Hog Wild" on August 11, 2018. The pig roast will be held in the community club park. Parking will be at the LGHS grounds with shuttles transporting guests to the park. Parking and shuttle are free. The LGHS Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The land around Ellison Bay is freshly green and the waters blue green. It was a perfect place to settle for new immigrants coming to America looking for opportunities. The founding of Ellison Bay dates back 150 years when a young immigrant and land speculator John Eliason came to Door County from Europe, a native of Denmark. He came by ship to America in 1855 and made his way to Door County, landing at Ephraim in 1859.
Eliason purchased land along the shore of Green Bay north of Sister Bay. A new township, Liberty Grove had been formed in that year. By 1866 the town of Ellison Bay came into existence.
Originally he purchased 8000 acres and harvested the land of its timber, selling it to builders who needed the lumber in cities like Green Bay and Milwaukee. As he cleared the land he began selling parcels off to farmers and shoreline to fishermen to build docks and fish processing sheds.
The Eliason homestead still exists as a private residence just a short distance up the shore from the Community Park. It can be seen from the water, but not from State Highway 42 as it is sheltered among the trees that line the bay.
The first Ellison Bay Days was held in 1966 to celebrate the Centennial year of the founding of the village.
Ellison Bay Days
Historical Society Participation 2014 Ellison Bay Suffragists
2015 Old Fashioned Fun
2016 Spirit Walk enactors